Friday, May 30, 2008

Hate the Game, Not the Player

I have a confession to make and I hope that the world forgives me for what I am about to say (or type, rather).

I do not like MMORPGs.

Wow, it sure feels good to get that off my chest. It's something that I've long felt, but have constantly denied. Looking back, I realize that I've always had a dysfunctional relationship with multi-player RPGs, stretching from early MUDs to their eventual transformation into the MMORPGs of today. I must have started trial accounts for dozens of MMORPGs only to become bored before a charge ever hit my credit card (most in less than 14 days). Even MMORPGs derived from old single-player favorites such as Ultima Online failed to keep my interest, much less convince me to pay a monthly fee.
It's obvious that my love of RPGs pulls me towards these games, but what is it that drives me away? Well, I think it's probably based on a few different problems concerning the design of the games and the way that I relate to games and gaming in general.

1. Where's the Story? - One of the major draws for me in a game is a strong dramatic arc. I love heavy-handed storytelling, interesting characters and player decisions that open up that next level of immersion. I have not found an MMORPG that could provide this for me. I hoped that Lord of the Rings Online could have fulfilled that due to the source material it was based on, but the main storyline seemed to dissolve after the first few hours.

2. Fetch me a Canoe - Interesting tasks and quests are always a plus in any RPG, but I will be the first to admit that many tasks are reduced to the much maligned "fetch" quest. The "Bring me x and I'll give you y" type. However in MMORPGs, the fetch quest is rampant. I can't tell you how many times I have been sent to collect x number of some y just for a few measly experience points and maybe some gold. Which leads me to the next point...

3. The Daily Grind - Character grinding, or the constant repetition of fighting enemies for experience points in order to level up characters is also rampant in MMORPGs. The storyline definitely takes a backseat to leveling up characters and collecting rare items. For some reason, a strong character with really awesome equipment is not a motivator for me to continue playing a game.

4. Do I Really Need Two Jobs? - In order to be successful at an MMORPG you will need to put in the time required. Joining guilds , groups, raiding parties or whatever all require some amount of time commitment. Meeting up with regular members requires players to schedule to be on during certain times. I am a very inconsistent gamer and the last thing I need after a 8-10 hour workday is another activity that feels like work to me.

So, I guess it really boils down to the type of gamer that I am and the experience that I want while playing a game. I definitely feel that I am a dying breed when it comes to gaming, as my interest is almost exclusively in single-player games. I even play first-person shooters for the story and barely even spend any time with the multi-player aspect. However, I do wonder what that MMORPG might be like that can capture my desire for a rich, fully realized story with game play mechanics that can hold my interest for more than a few days...who knows, maybe it's already out there.

Any recommendations?

No comments: