Monday, June 9, 2008

EVE Online - Update

So I've been playing for about 7 days of my 14-day trial of EVE Online and I thought I would go ahead and post some likes and dislikes regarding the game so far.

Like:

1. Theme - I absolutely love the theme of this game. The Sci-Fi gameplay is more appealing to me than the typical fantasy setting. The artwork, sound, music, etc. are all top notch in setting the stage for the oppressive universe in which the game is set.

2. Skill Training - I love how your skills are trained even when you are not playing. At least I can feel like I'm progressing in the game even when I don't have a lot of time to sink into it.

Dislike:

1. Learning Curve - I found the learning curve to this game to be immense. The interface and just the sheer number of options available to the player can be overwhelming at the beginning. While this is not necessarily a bad thing for the game, it is for someone who does not have a lot of time to sink into the game.

2. Pace - EVE Online is definitely not a game for the impatient. Travel between galaxies, mining and other such activities eat up a significant amount of game time. Fortunately, the game runs well in windowed-mode so web surfing and doing other work is possible while your autopilot directs your ship to its next destination.

At this point, I'm unsure if I will be continuing past the free trial, but I have to admit even though the game is slow paced, there is some measure of fun in really being given an open-world to explore with no real limits even at the beginning of the game....

No comments: