Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Braid


So I thought I'd throw my two cents in regarding Braid, the recent Xbox Live Arcade title that is receiving consistently positive praise from critics and fans alike.

I have to admit that when first reading about the game, it did not interest me that much. However, when I booted it up and was not even treated to a title screen or introduction, I knew I was in for a different experience. Transitioning to the game, I was pleased with how well, I was introduced to the mechanics of the game without any prompting by the game itself. Just a few graphics hidden among the terrain of the first level to make sure you knew which buttons to press and the rest is left to experimentation by the player.

As far as game mechanics go, the idea of each level presenting a different time-manipulating element keeps things interesting and the puzzles are appropriately difficult and experimentation is well rewarded.

Thematically and artistically, this game was likewise excellent. The abstract story had a very thoughtful conclusion. Gamer karma maybe? I loved it...

No comments: